Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Asian Violets have Cool Sophisticated Leaves.

Primulina 'Hisuke' with cool sophisticated leaves.

Marketing for everybody.

         “Asian Violets are like African Violets, but Better”.  I thought that this saying was perfect.  But not so.

         I’ve been working on a marketing workshop with Seth Godin, a Genius logical thinker.  Seth argues that “better” says nothing.  Every product is better, but in fact, consumers don’t all buy your better plants.  They buy what they consider important to them.

         In a discussion group, a woman offered her view:

     Why not just “Asian violets are African violets for sophisticated people”?

     You may be onto something by thinking about marketing to people with a more sophisticated sense of aesthetics. I imagine walking into a friend’s apartment, rolling my eyes at her African violets, and thinking,      “You’re smarter than that, dammit!”


            I told her that I laughed out loud.  Since I have friends that grow African Violets, I hadn’t considered that African Violets are not up with the times.

         I think that Asian Violets (Primulina) have a more sophisticated look and that may be the distinction to separate them from African Violets.  Violets are the leading flowering houseplant in the World.  That is not likely to change any time soon.


         “Asian Violets are like African Violets, but with cool sophisticated leaves.”



4 comments:

  1. The leaves are certainly more interesting but the delicate flowers make the plant so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Primulina become common houseplants, flowering will be the surprise bonus. Most young plants will be bought without flower, as it takes a year or more to initiate flowers. The silver patterned leaves will be decorative between flowering.

    Please grow Asian violets and tell your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question....I have tried looking it up but haven't found a solid answer.....are Primulina safe or toxic for dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My answer will not be 100% solid, either.

    Thousands of hobby growers have had Primulina for years and I have never heard of any safety issue with dogs or any other animal. However, there is the issue of choking on plant material.

    Primulina are not known to be toxic to animals, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete