Sunday, June 2, 2013

Peperomia prostrata - 'Mini' Plants for Miniature Gardens

Peperomia prostrata

Ninth in a series,


Common name:  Creeping Peperomia

Botanical name:  Peperomia prostrata

Height: 1”  Width:  4”  Form:  Trailing

  Why would you want it?


      Peperomia prostrate has interesting markings on fleshy green leaves.  It is rare but a durable plant.


What is its best feature?


      It is very slow growing so will not over take any nearby plants.


How would you grow it?


      As a houseplant, Peperomia prostrata can grow in very high light down to shade.  It can survive being dry without harm.


What would you do with it in a Miniature Garden?

      Category:  Ground cover


      Could be an interesting ground cover used near the edge of your container so it will trail out over the sides.




2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to thank you for raising this plant which has brought me so much happiness! I purchased it maybe 1 1/2 - 2 years ago at Primex Garden Center in Glenside, PA. I LOVE IT! I have a LOT of plants but this is one of my all time favorites and everyone who visits has positive comments as well. It's easy to care for (had one close call with overwatering but thankfully it survived) and cascades beautifully over the edges of its pot. Keep up the good work - I have a teeny tiny house and not a lot of room for house plants (or anything else for that matter lol) but your smaller types are PERFECT for my situation (I've also purchased your gasteria and begonias). Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed that I wrote this 8 years ago and you bought one 5 years ago. Peperomia prostrata, known as String of Turtles, is now the 'Hot' plant. We have not been able to grow enough of the Turtles.

    I hope that yours is doing great.

    ReplyDelete