Sunday, March 26, 2017

Codonanthe carnosa 'Libby'

Codonanthe carnosa 'Libby'
           
         Libby is one of our advanced hobby growers in the Delaware African Violet and Gesneriad Society (DAVS).  For many years, she maintained a big basket of a Codonanthe with large white flowers, relative to others I have seen.  Every time Libby would show her award-winning Codonanthe, I’d think we must propagate and distribute it before it’s lost.

            When Libby had to down-size her growing area, she donated, with Mary’s help, her plant to me.  I got one batch of cuttings going that we distributed to DAVS members.  Since then, I’ve been building up stock for larger commercial sale.

            The plant is very hardy--- doesn’t mind drying out a little.  It grows slowly but will branch and flower in small pots.  It will be spectacular in 4 ½” hanging baskets.

            The name of Libby’s plant is uncertain, so it’s unknown if it is in cultivation elsewhere --- thus, the urgency to save the clone.

            Through some clues, it may be the original Codonanthe carnosa.  The Codonanthe clones that I had 40 years ago, went through name changes of carnosa to digna to devosiana.  The free-flowering clone that I have is Codonanthe devosiana ‘Paula'.

            Libby’s clone has white flowers twice the size of ‘Paula’.  So, until further notice I’m designating this exceptional plant:


            Codonanthe carnosa ‘Libby’


Codonanthe devosiana 'Paula' (top), Codonanthe carnosa 'Libby' (bottom)

3 comments:

  1. Libby will be thrilled. Great plant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Libby deserves the credit for maintaining this clone for so many years. It takes a dedicated grower to do that.

    The larger picture may be that this is the only clone of this particular Codonanthe. We will see what others say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been searching g for 2 years for this plant ever since mine died in a tragic accident. Is there any chance I could buy a cutting from you and have it shipped to Alberta, Canada?? My email is victoria.craigie@hotmail.com should you ever see this or care to answer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete