Saturday, February 5, 2022

What will be the common name for Achimenes? --- THE ANSWER!

Achimenes 'Serge Saliba'



              Five weeks ago I wanted to find the new common name for Achimenes.  Today, I’ve given up.

 

            The answer is:

           

Achimenes   ---   ah-KIM-eh-neez

 

After talking to a lot of smart people, they all say that all current common names are stupid and should not be used.  I won’t write them here to help cause them to disappear.

 

A common name for a plant helps gardeners remember it, so they can discuss it with others. And more importantly, they will ask for them at a garden center.   Botanical names are difficult and only make sense if you can pronounce them.

 

Achimenes can be called Achimenes.  Once you learn it, Achimenes will be common.




5 comments:

  1. Good choice. I just may have to try and grow some this summer. I haven't had Achimenes in ages.

    Do you know if they attract hummingbirds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't grown Achimenes in 40 years, but will soon be in the Achimenes business.

    I don't know about hummingbirds, but will watch what they do this summer, when they come around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually get hummingbirds buzzing around my gesneriads outside. However I grow many sinnigias so I can't be sure if they are coming for the achimenes, in addition to the sinningias

    ReplyDelete