Thursday, March 3, 2022

What should I call it?

Sinningia 'Prudence Risley' - Coming soon from the farm



 

If you would decide to grow plants in the Gesneriad family, what would you call the business?

 

First, you could reconsider your assumption that Genera within the Gesneriad family are worth producing.  The answer is if there ever is a time to try it, it is now.  Houseplant demand is so strong, you can sell any new plant that you have.  If it has a flower, even better.

 

These Gesneriads would feed into the Gary’s Specialty Plants LLC distribution system.  Nothing has changed expect adding more varieties to the inventory list.

 

I want to call it --- Gary’s Gesneriad Farm.  This will be my third plant business.  Coming after Hunter’s Greenhouse and Gary’s Specialty Plants, I like Gary’s Gesneriad Farm.

 

My son warns me against having ‘Gesneriad’ in my email address.  Nobody knows what that is or how to spell it.  It must be better than tech companies that choose nonsensical combinations of letters.

 

So why Farm?  The standard is ‘Greenhouse’ or ‘Nursery’.  They’ve always been wrong.  I don’t sell greenhouses or raise babies.

 

Since I grew up on a farm, I’m returning to my roots.


                    Gary’s Gesneriad Farm ---- I like it.




2 comments:

  1. Your son is 200% correct. Pick a name that's easy to remember AND easy to spell ... I'm thinking on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    After considering the advice from a lot of smart people, I'm staying with Gary's Gesneriad Farm LLC. If it causes problems over time, you can always tell me --- I told you so.

    ReplyDelete