Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Primulina - The Red Leaves Mystery

Primulina 'Loki' By Paul -- Red leaves


 


            The mystery of Red leaves in the center of Primulina continues.  There has been speculation about this for 10 years.


             The working theory is that it is the light spectrum.


            Or a combination of various environmental factors, like cold.


            If I find out and can duplicate it, I will not tell you.  It will be a proprietary trade secret.


            It remains to be seen if the market will care.  Will you buy a red center Primulina ahead of a green center Primulina? 







2 comments:

  1. I would love to figure out how to get my Loki to go red. Also, I'd really like to get one to the ones that grow in whorls or three leave rather than the opposite leaves like in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The market question is: Will red-center Primulina sell better than green-center? I may be chasing a question that doesn't matter.

      The three leaves in a whorl is something that happens with Gesneriads. I spent a lot of time trying to select for three leaves but it never remained stable. It would always go back to two leaves. We see it in Achimenes -- Three leaves give more flowers. But it is random.

      Delete