Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Variegated Artillery Fern - 'Mini' plants for Miniature Gardens


Variegated Artillery Fern

Tenth in a series,

Common name:  Variegated Artillery Fern

Botanical name:  Pilea microphylla variegata

Height:  6”                         Width:  4”


Why would you want it?

            It is a colorful foliage plant, perfect for Miniature Gardens. Of course, not a Fern  --- It has a lacy top and shoots its seeds giving the name -- Artillery Fern.  The variegated form does not shoot seeds.


What is its best feature?

            The pink and white variegation on a normally green plant gives the impression that it is flowering.


How would you grow it?

            It is a house plant that needs bright to indirect light.  Water when the soil is dry to prevent wilting.  Extreme dry will kill the plant.  It grows half as fast as the green form so it stays in bounds for Miniature Gardens.


What would you do with it in a Miniature Garden?


            Variegated artillery fern is perfect for a tree-form.  It can grow with a main stem like a tree trunk and form a branching head to make a canopy.







4 comments:

  1. I know this is an older post but I thank you for it anyway. I just became a proud new owner of a tiny artillery plant. I have a habit of buying plants that are interesting even if I've never heard of them. I'm excited to see how this one grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia Ann,
    Variegated Artillery Fern is still one of our top sellers, since the colorful leaves look like flowers. Extreme drought kills it, but otherwise an easy houseplant. I’m glad that you are trying one.
    I found some of your previous blogs. They are very good. You should write again.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this plant few days back and now I’m noticing that it’s leaves are dropping and withering. So I changed its soil to potting mix and I’m keeping its soil moist. But still it’s leaves are withering. Please suggest me what else I need to do. As a newbie I really want this plant to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same as Humera. My plant is wilting too. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete