Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How did you know that Sinningia 'Prudence Risley' was a winner?

Sinningia 'Prudence Risley' grown by Bill Price

Story # 9, Part II

            With the rapid-fire spread of information and images on the internet, it’s easy to collect clues about any plant that interests you.  In my previous business, operating as Hunter’s Greenhouse, I evaluated plants to be included in our ‘Plants for Planters’ program.  From the picture of the patio pot, being grown outside in Florida by the hybridizer, Jim Steuerlein, I thought that this Sinningia could be durable.

            Although the picture shown in Part I shows the second year’s big growth, there are pictures of it being grown as a low plant in small pots.  That’s where I started.  Once I had stock plants, I rooted tip cuttings, pinched once to get 2-3 shoots in a 3 ½” pot and sold them in flower.

            S. ‘Prudence Risley’ proved to be a vigorous self-branching plant with multiple red trumpet flowers.

            I had guessed that it was good.  But it’s much better than that.  I was lucky!



No comments:

Post a Comment