Thursday, April 19, 2012

Visitors are asking for Streptocarpus


Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Sunset'


Story # 4
            My buyer at the Longwood Gardens plant shop tells me that visitors are asking for Streptocarpus.  I still find that hard to believe since most people don’t even know the word.

            But now I believe and am trying to create supply by producing named Streptocarpus in commercial quantities.  My program is to select the best varieties from around the world and produce finished flowering plants for sale at local retail plant stores.

            I am grouping them by size and use.  There are standard varieties and compact ones for smaller pots.  Some could even be considered miniature and look proportional in a 2 1/2” pot.

            The best varieties from my evaluations will end up being expensive.  Since there is no commercial production, quantities are limited by time and stock.  Named varieties are vegetatively produced from leaf cuttings so quantities are limited to the number of stock plants built up.

            Good things take time.


No comments:

Post a Comment